Your Guide to Debt and BankruptcyYour Guide to Debt and Bankruptcy

About Me

Your Guide to Debt and Bankruptcy

About 10 years ago, I secured my dream job with one of the largest corporations in the country. The job came with a substantial increase in pay and I soon looked for a large house for my family. After living the life I dreamed of, I was let go from my current position. I had a large amount of savings, but the economy took a turn for the worse and savings were quickly drained. I soon became stressed about finances. I could not pay the mortgage and bill collectors started to call my house. I refused to be defeated though, so I met with a bankruptcy attorney instead. I live a much simpler life now with my family, and I want you to know that financial stress does not have to affect you for years. Read my blog to learn about bankruptcy, debt laws, and how to hire an attorney.

Getting Divorced? – You Don't Have To Keep Your Married Name

When you take your husband's name after you are married, you never think that there will be a day that you want to eliminate his name from your life. Unfortunately, failed marriages happen each day and women must decide whether they want to keep their former husband's name or revert to their maiden name. Below, you will find some answers to some of the questions you probably have about dropping your married name and taking your maiden name back.

When can you drop your married name?

As soon as you begin divorce proceedings, you can drop your married name and revert back to your maiden name. Actually, if you change your name during the divorce proceedings, you could save yourself a little bit of money. This is because you will have to pay more filing fees and go through another legal procedure to finalize your change of name.

What do you need to change your name?

When reverting to your maiden name, you will need to provide evidence that you have previously used that name. Providing the court with your original birth certificate or an expired driver's license should be more than enough evidence that you are not going through an entire name change, but simply reverting back to your maiden name.

You will apply for a name change at your local courthouse and pay an application fee. Once the paperwork has been processed, the change will be finalized and you can begin changing your name on all of your identification, financial documents and everything else listed in your name.

Can you change your children's last names?

It is understandable that you would want your children to have your last name, but in some states, this can be difficult to accomplish. If the father is active in the children's lives and carrying their father's name does not put the children at emotional or physical risk, it can be very difficult to get the courts to rule in your favor.

If the father of your children is absent or carrying his name could put the children at emotional or physical risk, the court could rule in your favor and grant you the name change for your children. In most cases, you will need an attorney to help you get through this difficult and confusing process.

Changing your name shouldn't be a complicated process, but some situations are more difficult than others. Talk with your local family lawyer for assistance in dropping your married name.