Your Guide to Debt and BankruptcyYour Guide to Debt and Bankruptcy

About Me

Your Guide to Debt and Bankruptcy

About 10 years ago, I secured my dream job with one of the largest corporations in the country. The job came with a substantial increase in pay and I soon looked for a large house for my family. After living the life I dreamed of, I was let go from my current position. I had a large amount of savings, but the economy took a turn for the worse and savings were quickly drained. I soon became stressed about finances. I could not pay the mortgage and bill collectors started to call my house. I refused to be defeated though, so I met with a bankruptcy attorney instead. I live a much simpler life now with my family, and I want you to know that financial stress does not have to affect you for years. Read my blog to learn about bankruptcy, debt laws, and how to hire an attorney.

Ex Refuses To Child Support Your Kids Because You Won't Take Them Back? Contact An Attorney

If your ex-spouse refuses to provide financial support to your children because you won't take the ex back, contact a family law attorney for help. Even if you and your ex don't get along after divorce, the ex-spouse is still legally obligated to support your kids. The financial neglect your kids face may have detrimental effects on their well-being. Here are things an attorney can do to obtain support for your children and things you can do to help an attorney strengthen your case.

Why Contact a Family Law Attorney?

A family law court most likely already devised a child support order with your ex-spouse during your divorce. The court may have the other parent pay their child support payments directly through it, or the other spouse can use a state-mandated website to make payments. If family court allows the other spouse to pay their child support obligations directly to you in the forms of checks or money orders, it may be difficult to prove that the ex doesn't meet their financial obligations. In this case, it's a good idea that you let an attorney receive your child support payments for you.

Here's why.

Although you can contact family court yourself and request an investigation into the other parent's missing support payments, you need physical proof that the other parent refuses to pay. The other parent can also say that they do make payments to you, but you misuse or misplace the funds. Family court may turn around and question you about the missed payments. 

An attorney can help you avoid the issues above by having your child support order changed.

What Can an Attorney Do to Help?

Having the other parent send payments directly to a state-run child support site or the attorney's office is one of the best steps to take in your case. These methods provide physical proof of the missing payments that a family law attorney can submit to the court if the other parent lies about when and how they submit payments.

In addition, if the other parent still doesn't comply with the child support order, an attorney may ask the court to pull the payments from the other parent's paychecks. The garnished wages go directly to you in the form of a check, or they can be directly deposited into your banking account. If the other parent quits their job, the state may go after the parent's income taxes or disability income for your kids. An attorney can discuss the methods used to obtain your child support during a private meeting.